Thursday 18 April 2013

Welcome Aboard

 
 

I love the nautical look ~ it makes me think about holidays. There is nothing I like more than being in the sunshine at the seaside somewhere: feeling soft warm sand between my toes...... listening to the sound of the waves, children playing & the seagulls calling ..... smelling the sea ..... watching boats 'dancing' and the sunshine glittering on the water......... 

Oh well we can all dream!  It seems to have been a long winter and, although officially spring is here, summer still feels a long way off.

But I notice that there are loads of linen trousers and blue & white striped tops in the shops at the moment. A promise of warmer days to come. I couldn't resist and bought a couple of t-shirts and cardigan jackets in navy & white.
But I love bold colours so I decided to use a couple of balls of red cotton yarn, that has been in my stash for some time, to make myself a scarf to wear with them.

Most of my knitting & crochet is for charity. I make hats, scarves, baby clothes & blankets. They are made with love - and given away with love - in the hope that by my small actions the world will be a tiny bit happier for someone somewhere.
It is years since I made something for myself.

 


And what's more ~ I love it.
 
 
The stitch is lacy ~ but quick to learn and easy to do ~ as every row is the same!
 


Can't wait to wear it
 

 
even if it won't be on a yacht !
 
'welcome aboard' one row red scarf

 

 
I based my pretty scarf on this one -
 

One Row Lace Scarf
By Turvid
Needles: 6 mm (US 10).

Use bigger needles than the yarn usually calls for.

Gauge (not important): 8 sts = 5 cm (2 inches) in pattern.

Skill level: Easy(/Intermediate)

Note: This will make an (unblocked) width of about 13 cm (about 5 inches). To increase the width: add 4 or more stitches, dividable with 4. The scarf is very stretchy, but you could use a bigger/smaller needle size, thicker/thinner yarn or adjust the stitch count to get a different size.

K= knit
K2tog= knit 2 stitches together
YO= Yarn over
Sts= stitches

Pattern:

Cast on 24 sts (or any number of stiches dividable with 4
).
I did 28sts on 4.5 mm needles for my scarf

Knit 2 rows

Knit pattern row:     K4, (YO, K2tog, K2) repeat between ( ) 5 6 times.

Repeat the pattern row until your scarf is at the desired length.

Knit 1 row.

Cast off loosely.

Finishing:

Weave in ends. Block if you want to.




Happy Days !
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Spending day at the beach is my favorite past time too. Luckily, I live only about an hour away from the shore and can go there anytime.
    I love your scarf. The color is bright and bold, looks great with the striped tee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scarf! The pattern is very pretty and the colour really goes perfectly with the navy and white colour theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely scarf Marianna, it does feel strange making something for yourself doesn't it but hey I think we deserve it. Thank you for the pattern I will have to give it a try, it would be lovely in a cotton yarn but that means I would have to buy some mmm now look what you have done haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nautical look too! And you scarf is so lovely. I am making a nautical shawl, and I cant wait to finish and wear it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that. It looks as pretty as crochet, but much easier...for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it too - thanks for sharing the pattern with us all - I have lots of thoughts on who to make this for - and like Una says it looks like crochet (something I just cant do) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty pattern, I'm making one of this in self striping yarn .Hope to finish it soon :)

    ReplyDelete