Friday 12 January 2024

Linen Stitch Crochet Blanket

 

Linen Stitch Blanket


My knitting skills are far superior to my crochet skills - but I do enjoy learning, so I sat down this afternoon to learn how to crochet the Linen Stitch. This stitch is also known as Crochet Moss Stitch, Granite Stitch and Woven Stitch. It is easy to do with just a little practise, and after the foundation row, it is a one row repeat, so you soon get some rhythm! It works up quite quickly. 

This stitch has a lovely texture, but I found the fabric too dense for a blanket using my normal choice of DK yarn and a 4mm hook ........ so I tried a 5mm hook instead, and liked the result much better! It looks the same on both sides, so a good choice for a reversible item. And it doesn't curl.  

I am making a doll's blanket for practice, and I am planning on making a baby size Linen Stitch blanket for the next baby I hear about amongst my family and friends. It's good to add to my crochet repertoire !  

I have added the instructions below for my doll's size blanket - and there are several good videos on-line if you are a visual learner! 


Linen Stitch Blanket


Requires:

DK yarn

5mm hook

 

Tension / Gauge: 

Not critical - but I got around 20sts = 4" (10cm) using a 5mm hook


This pattern uses UK terminology

ch = chain        dc = double crochet         

 

Instructions:


(Ch 2 at beginning of each row always counts as 1 chain space)

To begin, chain an odd number.  

For my trial doll's blanket I chained 59sts. The width is 12" 

For a 24" baby blanket you need to double that and chain around 119sts

Row 1: (1st 2 chains count as 1 chain space) 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, *ch 1, skip the next ch, 1 dc in next ch, repeat from * across row, turn

Row 2: Ch 2, 1 dc in 1st chain space, *ch 1, skip the next dc, 1 dc in next chain space, repeat from * across row, turn

Repeat row 2 until you reach you are happy with the length of your blanket. I usually make blankets square, or a little longer than their width. 


Here is a chart to that might help. It doesn't have the correct number of stitches, but it shows you how the stitches are placed.


Each + is a double crochet stitch


Add a simple border to your blanket if desired. 


 I am happy for you to use my patterns for your own use or for charity donations.  
In addition:  You can gift or sell any finished items you make from my patterns.  

However, please do not copy my patterns

Copyright © 2024 ‘made by marianna’  All Rights Reserved
This pattern (the information and photos) may not be copied, shared, reproduced
or republished on any other webpage or website

No comments:

Post a Comment