Thursday 27 June 2013

2-needle baby socks

I loved making these cute 2-needle baby socks.



The original pattern was written out by hand by a friend, and given to me 25 years ago - in the days before photocopying, scanning, or cut and paste !!

I made several pairs of these for my beautiful babies and for loads more baby shower gifts for friends - they are easier to make than the length of the instructions suggests!

I can knit socks in the traditional way - on 4 double-pointed needles - or on a circular needle but I just don't enjoy it. For me knitting is about the process as well as the finished product. If the making does not make me happy then I will not make the item again.




To give them a more contemporary look I added stripes. The original pattern is in one colour only.
Go on - give them a go .......

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2-needle-baby-socks


Cute Baby Socks
DK yarn

3 ¼ mm and 4mm needles

Foot  length : 9cms (3 ½ “)

Using 3 ¼ mm needles cast on 26 stitches and work 6 rows in k2, p2 rib.

Change to 4mm needles and work in garter stitch (every row knit)  for 30 rows.

Break off yarn.

Divide stitches for the heel

Slip first 7sts onto a holder, rejoin yarn and knit 12sts, slip these sts onto a holder for the instep, knit to end then continue knitting across the 7 sts on the holder from the beginning of the row.

Turn and work on these 14sts to make the heel –

Work 7 rows in stocking stitch beginning with a purl row.

Shape the heel

K8, slip 1, k1, psso, turn

Slip 1, p2, p2 tog, turn

Slip 1, k3, slip 1, k1, psso, turn

Slip 1, p4, p2 tog, turn

Slip 1, k5, slip 1, k1, psso, turn

Slip 1, p6, p2 tog

Break off yarn and slip remaining 8sts onto a holder.

With right side of work facing, pick up and knit 6sts along the side of the heel, knit across the 8sts on the holder and pick up and knit 6sts along the other side of the heel.  (20sts)

Knit 1 row.

Shape the sole

K1, slip 1, k1, psso, knit to last 3sts, k2 tog, k1.

Knit 1 row.

Repeat the last 2 rows until 12sts remain, then work straight until the sole measures 5cms ( 2”), ending after a wrong side row.

Shape the toe

K1, slip 1, k1, psso, knit to last 3sts, k2 tog, k1.

Purl 1 row.

Repeat these 2 rows until 6sts remain.

Slip these 6sts on to a holder or a safety pin.

Instep

With wrong side of work facing, knit across the 12sts left on a holder.

Work in garter stitch (every row knit) until instep measure the same as the sole to the start of the toe shaping,  ending after a wrong side row.

Shape the toe

K1, slip 1, k1, psso, knit to last 3sts, k2 tog, k1.

Purl 1 row.

Repeat these 2 rows until 6sts remain.

Slip the 6sts stitches from the holder or safety pin onto a needle, and with right sides together cast off the 2 sets of stitches together.

To finish

Join back and foot seams.

Make another sock to match.
 
 

 
 
Find my patterns at ~
 
Find my patterns at ~
 

17 comments:

  1. They are so cute Marianna and brilliant they are made with two needles, I can't get away with 4pns either, thank you for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elite custom customized tube crew socks for men women and kids. Cool colorfull funky funny vintage designs for every one baby socks

      Delete
  2. I love to knit, but haven't tried baby socks yet. These look like they would be good ones to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable socks! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet! thanks for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely pair of wee socks! Thank you for linking up at Link & Share Wednesdays ! Rhondda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute socks! One question though, I can not see how you knit them on two needlew, is it the same way as knitting on two long circular needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are knit on two straight needles, since they are knit flat, not in the round.

      Delete
  7. Im trying to make the striped version. Could you give me some directions as to how may rows of each color and when to change colors at the heel shaping?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the cutest pattern I have seen and very clever I can't wait to start making them. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pattern was just what I was looking for to go with a footless all-in-one I made. Fitted the bill as it is two needles and DK and a very clever design.The all-in-one has cuff and bands in one colour and the body is striped in two other colours, I managed to do the socks in three colours to match. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! Anything I can do on two needles is absolute fabulous since I never learned to knit in the round. Now if I could just find a toddler sized sock I would be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pink knitted socks, perfect for baby girls. Thanks for sharing, Adorable baby socks. Check out our page White + Warren for more comfy baby knitted socks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this . Teaching someone to knit and these are ideal xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. how about a tube sock in the round Marion :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these tiny socks Marianna you are amazing I love your patterns, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. The toe additions are great, too, for better dexterity and proper comfort. The colour and pattern options allow you to get the right kind of flair, and you’ll be able to rely on the quality design of the yoga toe socks above all else.  Sure to be comfortable on the foot, they will take care of all of your needs.  custom toe socks

    ReplyDelete