Wednesday 30 July 2014

Maxine Baby Cardigan - Mini, Midi, Maxi

Mini Maxine
  
I love to see little girls in pretty dresses
Most dresses look great with short cardigans

This cute little cardigan for a baby of around 3months has a simple shape - and pretty eyelet rows.
It comes with instructions for three lengths - Maxi, Midi and Mini - perfect for any outfit.

Maxi Maxine

Midi Maxine

Mini Maxine


Maxi Maxine                          0 - 3 months



Size:
Width:       16"
Length:     10"

Tension: 
22sts = 4" (10cm)

Requires:
Around 56g of DK (8ply) yarn
4mm needles
6 buttons

Using DK yarn and 4mm needles ~

Cast on 64sts

Rows 1 & 2   Knit
Row 3           K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row


Rows 4 & 5    Knit
Row 6           K4, purl to last 4sts, k4



Row 7           K12, yrn, k2, yrn, k6, yrn, k2, yrn, k20, yrn, k2, yrn, k6, yrn, k2, yrn, k12

Row 8           K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 9           K13, yrn, k2, yrn, k8, yrn, k2, yrn, k22, yrn, k2, yrn, k8, yrn, k2, yrn, k13

Row 10         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 11         K14, yrn, k2, yrn, k10, yrn, k2, yrn, k24, yrn, k2, yrn, k10, yrn, k2, yrn, k14

Row 12         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 13         K15, yrn, k2, yrn, k12, yrn, k2, yrn, k26, yrn, k2, yrn, k12, yrn, k2, yrn, k15

Row 14         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 15         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), K12, yrn, k2, yrn, k14, yrn, k2, yrn, k28, yrn, k2, yrn, k14, yrn, k2, yrn, k16

Row 16         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 17         K17, yrn, k2, yrn, k16, yrn, k2, yrn, k30, yrn, k2, yrn, k16, yrn, k2, yrn, k17

Row 18         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 19         K18, yrn, k2, yrn, k18, yrn, k2, yrn, k32, yrn, k2, yrn, k18, yrn, k2, yrn, k18

Row 20         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 21         K19, yrn, k2, yrn, k20, yrn, k2, yrn, k34, yrn, k2, yrn, k20, yrn, k2, yrn, k19

Row 22         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 23         K20, yrn, k2, yrn, k22, yrn, k2, yrn, k36, yrn, k2, yrn, k22, yrn, k2, yrn, k20

Row 24         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 25         K21, yrn, k2, yrn, k24, yrn, k2, yrn, k38, yrn, k2, yrn, k24, yrn, k2, yrn, k21

Row 26         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 27         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), k18, yrn, k2, yrn, k26, yrn, k2, yrn, k40, yrn, k2, yrn, k26, yrn, k2, yrn, k22                 

Row 28         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4

Row 29         K24, slip next 30sts onto a stitch holder, k44, slip next 30sts onto a stitch holder, k24          

Row 30         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4                 (92sts)  **


Row 31         Knit

Row 32         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Repeat last two rows 3 times more

Row 39         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row

Row 40         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Row 41         Knit

Row 42         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Repeat last two rows 4 times more

Row 51         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row

Row 52         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4      


Row 53         Knit

Row 54         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Repeat last two rows twice more

Row 59         K4, * k1, s1, k1, psso, yrn, rep from * to last 7sts, k1, s1, k1, psso, k4

Row 60         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4                          (91sts)


Row 61         Knit

Row 62         Knit

Row 63         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row

Row 64         Knit

Row 65         Knit

Cast off


Long Sleeves ~ Both Alike


Put the 30sts, left on a stitch holder, back on to a knitting needle. Rejoin yarn.

With right side facing –

Row 1           Knit into front & back of first st,  knit to last st,  knit into front & back of last st

Row 2           S1, purl to last st, k1


Row 3              S1, knit to end of row

Row 4              S1, purl to last st, k1


Repeat last two rows until 4” (10cm) have been worked from armhole, ending after completing a wrong side row

With right side facing –

Next row       K1, *s1, k1, psso, yon, k1, repeat from * to last st, k1

Next Row      S1, purl to last st, k1


Knit 5 rows

Cast off

Make the second sleeve in the same way

Sew up sleeve seams. Gather together underarms

Darn away ends

Sew on buttons



Midi Maxine




Size:
Width:       16"
Length:     7½ "

Tension: 
22sts = 4" (10cm)

Requires:
Around 42g of DK (8ply) yarn, for the short sleeved version
4mm needles
5 buttons


Cast on 64sts

Work exactly as Maxi Maxine until **


Row 31         Knit

Row 32         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Repeat last two rows 3 times more

Row 39         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row

Row 40         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Row 41         Knit

Row 42         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Repeat last two rows 2 times more

Row 47         K4, * k1, s1, k1, psso, yrn, rep from * to last 7sts, k1, s1, k1, psso, k4

Row 48         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4                          (91sts)


Row 49         Knit

Row 50         Knit

Row 51         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row


Row 52         Knit

Row 53         Knit

Cast off

                  


Sleeves ~ Both Alike


Make long or short sleeves

Long sleeves - from Maxi Maxine

Short sleeves – from Mini Maxine


Darn away ends

Sew on buttons



Mini Maxine




Size:
Width:       16"
Length:     5 ¾"

Tension: 
22sts = 4" (10cm)

Requires:
Around 36g of DK (8ply) yarn
4mm needles
4 buttons

 

Cast on 64sts

Work exactly as Maxi Maxine until **


Row 31         Knit

Row 32         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4


Repeat last two rows once more

Row 35         K4, * k1, s1, k1, psso, yrn, rep from * to last 7sts, k1, s1, k1, psso, k4

Row 36         K4, purl to last 4sts, k4                          (91sts)


Row 37         Knit

Row 38         Knit

Row 39         K2, yrn, k2tog, (makes a buttonhole), knit to end of row

Row 40         Knit

Row 41         Knit

Cast off

                  

Short Sleeves ~ Both Alike


Put the 30sts, left on a stitch holder, back on to a knitting needle. Rejoin yarn.

With right side facing –

Row 1           Knit into front & back of first st, knit to last st,  knit into front & back of last st

Row 2           S1, purl to last st, k1


Row 3              S1, knit to end of row

Row 4              S1, purl to last st, k1


Row 5           K1, *s1, k1, psso, yon, k1, repeat from * to last st, k1

Row 6           S1, purl to last st, k1


Knit 5 rows

Cast off

Make the second sleeve in the same way

Sew up sleeve seams. Gather together underarms

Darn away ends

Sew on buttons


You will find the instructions for a bigger 6 - 9 months size here ~ 




 You will find a boy's version here ~

And, with a cabled front ~ 

Copyright © 2014 ‘made by marianna’  All Rights Reserved

This pattern (the information and photos) may not be copied or reproduced

or republished on another webpage or website.

‘This work is registered with the UK Copyright Service.’
 



27 comments:

  1. thank you marianna you have done it again and come up with an inventive and gorgeous cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful Marianna, thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it in all sizes and lengths! I need to try one of these soon ;-) Thanks for sharing the pattern
    ♥ Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely--my friends' grandkids are getting bigger--can you help make these sizes 3-6 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara - I am happy that you like my pattern design. I will be adding larger sizes - when I find time!
      Maybe in a few weeks......... hope you can wait till then. M

      Delete
  5. I, too , would like to make this sweater larger. What would you think about making the same pattern but with worsted weight yarn and size 8 (US) needles following the pattern as it's written, but making sleeves and body longer? Probably not a size 3-6, but maybe a 1-2T??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susiesosoft - Several knitters have asked for this design in bigger sizes - so I will get them done as soon as I can.
      Anyone know where I can find several extra hours each day ?! lol
      Best wishes. M

      Delete
  6. Hi Marianna...absolutely beautiful sweaters...I have one question and I hope I'm not embarrassing myself....what does "yrn" stand for?
    I'm assuming "yarn" something, but what? I noticed it many times in the pattern...I've been knitting for quite awhile but far from an
    expert or very experienced knitter...this is the first time I've seen that abbreviation.
    Thank you for your help in advance and also thank you for the gorgeous patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ro - I wish we all used the same terms and abbreviations all around the world - it would make life so much simpler!
      yrn means yarn round needle. You may know this as yo (yarn over) or yon (yarn over needle).
      Basically in this case it makes a small buttonhole or a lacy eyelet hole . Hope this helps, Best wishes. Marianna

      Delete
  7. Good Day Marianna. I'm not sure if you received my comment already but because I didn't see any here so I write it again. I'm a beginner knitter from Malaysia. Your all-in-one sleeveless baby top is my first "successful" knitted baby cloth & hope this mini maxine the second one. I'm stuck at the sleeves part. didn't understand the beginning part "Put the 30sts, left on a stitch holder, back on to a knitting needle. Rejoin yarn.
    With right side facing –" Is this mean that the 30sts put in a circular needle? Really sorry if I'm asking stupid sound question but I never knit using a circular needle yet so I really need guide here. Do you have links to any good video or website that showed how to do this part? I want to do the mini maxine but with long sleeves for my baby and done with the body already. Waiting your reply soon. Thank you for the lovely pattern. sorry for my bad english

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I loved this cardigan when I spotted it on ravelry, so I started knitting this afternoon. However, I'm about 20 rows in and the pattern seems different to the cardigan shown in the photo. It's coming up with 4 vertical stripes of eyelets, all the way up the cardigan. Am I doing something wrong?

    I was going to try to improvise and just omit the eyelets after the first row of them, to math the picture, but I'm worried the sleeves won't have those pretty eyelets at the shoulders when I get to that point.

    Can you help? I'd really love to knit the cardi in the picture as it's so cute!

    Thanks in advance,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...It's a top-down knit...I'm an idiot, sorry! Ignore my previous comment. Thank you for the lovely lovely pattern :)

      Jen

      Delete
    2. I did exactly the same Jen......and as I only wanted one button hole at the top I didn't do it as I thought it was the bottom...lol

      Delete
  9. 4 months almost to the day from the first comment about the "lace"... had the same WTH moment.. thank goodness for comments. I will continue to follow the pattern knowing it will all become clear to me..... somewhere in there! Thanks, I love your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know that I absolutely LOVE all your baby cardigan patterns. I have already made several for our upcoming arrival. This is the next one I plan to make. Thanks for all the wonderful patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just finishing the sleeves on this beautiful baby sweater. I had the same thought as another, about using a bulkier yarn and bigger needles to obtain a larger sweater. I was thinking a chunky, tweedy yarn? Also, I had the same confusion about the shoulder lace, thinking the pattern was written from the bottom up. The look of the lacy stripes was growing on me, and then I realized my mistake. Do you have any patterns with the stripes worked in?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your pattern, thank a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to make the maxi version of this in a size 2-3. Since I cannot find a place where you have added larger sizes, how many stitches should I start with?
    Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi is this the pattern used for the tutu dress . thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the great free pattern! I posted a picture of my finished cardigan here:

    http://lisascrochet.blogspot.com/2017/02/maxine-baby-cardigan-mini.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are these worked on circular needles? Is it worked in one piece, minus the sleeves? I don't see anything separating body from shoulders ect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worked on straight needles. Sleeve stitches are saved on spare needles and sleeves knitted after.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved reading your thoughts; obviously you know what you are talking about! Your site is so easy to use too, I’ve bookmark it in my folder.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, is there a pattern for larger sizes available yet, please?

    ReplyDelete